Sunday, February 22, 2009

Being a good Steward

Darryl and I are taking a financial class at church during the Sunday School hour. The biggest thing is being a good steward of what God has given you. So in this aspect of finances and possessions all belongs to God. Everything you own is God's and He can take it away at anytime. So we need to look at our possessions and make sure we don't love them more then what we love God. Also the money Darryl makes is God's. He has in trusted Darryl and I to use it for His glory and in a way that is biblical.

After studying being a good steward of finances I thought what else are we suppose to be good stewards of. Here are somethings......our bodies, our children, the animals, the land, and there are more. The one I want to talk about is the first one our bodies.

When God created us He did so in His image. We belong to Christ and He is the one who gives us life and breath everyday. So we need to be good stewards of our bodies. Here in America we are overly blessed with an abundance of food everywhere we go. Which is why we are a country full of overweight people. Being a good steward of your body isn't something you hear Pastors or others in ministry talking about to much. Why, I ask. Are they afraid of hurting someones feelings and they leave the church or they are overweight themselves as Leaders in the church so they don't talk about it. Gluttony is a sin but it's a sin that is never talked about in the church as being a sin. We all struggle with different things and we all continue to sin daily. Food for some is that sin. Unfortunately it is an outward sin that all can see just like the person who is drunk and gets picked up for drunk driving and their name is in the paper, or the teenager or unwed women who is pregnant, it is a sin we can all see. Many of us have closed door sins that maybe your family doesn't even know about but God does.

But back to being a good steward of our bodies, after studying this based off of finances I have applied this to my mouth and what goes in it. I think before I eat and ask will this nourish my body or just fill a void. I stop eating when I'm content and don't overeat just because it is there.
And lastly I make time to workout 4-5 times a week to keep my body healthy for Darryl and for my children, and for God.
Was your New Year's Resolution to lose weight????
How is it going???
Maybe it will help you when you think about it as God commands us to be good stewards of all He has given us. He has given you your body and life and you need to be a good steward of it. Next time you go for whatever "trigger" food think is this for nourishment or to feel a need I have right now.
This is my life right now focusing on being a good steward not only of my finances, but my possessions, my animal, my children and my body.
It is a daily struggle and I sometimes fail(getting buttered popcorn at the Bijou putting M&M's on top of it and getting a re-fill when I ate it all gone) but I press on towards the goal of being healthy!

No comments: